We been notified by a few Chartway members that they’ve received calls from scammers using our 1-800-678-8765 number – this act is called caller ID spoofing. Please note: we will never ask you for your PIN number or CVV code over-the-phone. If you answer a call from our 800 number, beware if the person on the phone is asking you for either of these numbers.
What is Caller ID Spoofing?
Unfortunately, caller ID can’t always be trusted. Caller ID spoofing is when a caller deliberately falsifies the information transmitted to your caller ID display to disguise their identity and increase the likelihood that you’ll answer the call. According to the FCC, spoofing is often used as part of an attempt to trick someone into giving away valuable personal information so it can be used in fraudulent activity or sold illegally, but also can be used legitimately. For example, to display the toll-free number for a business, like Chartway’s phone number.
Beware of answering unfamiliar phone numbers and let them go to voicemail. If you do answer one of these calls, hang up immediately. If you answer such a call and an actual person starts speaking, do not give them any personal information.
Protect your personal identifying information and make sure to ask the right questions:
- Ask the caller for their name and a number that you can call them back at, if this number doesn’t match the one they called you from this is a major red flag.
- If the caller asks you for information, like your address, account or payment information do not answer them, this is most likely a phishing scam.
- Never provide confidential information by solicitors by phone, email or text. Be wary of any email or text requesting this information.
- Many fraudsters use scare tactics, such as threatening to disable your account. Don't feel pressured into providing information.
- Never click on links in an email or text, unless you are absolutely certain from whom they are sent.
- As always, please frequently review your accounts for any unusual transactions. Should they notice any suspicious activity or have any questions, please call us at 800-678-8765.
Report the Incident
Protect yourself and report the incident to the FCC, which you can file a complaint online or contact them by phone at 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) and be sure to block the number.
If you’ve answered a caller ID spoofing call, please call us at 800-678-8765 or email@example.com to report the incident and make sure that your accounts have not been comprised. We’re here to help keep your financial accounts safe this holiday season and always.